#86 – Westport Kansas City
Midtown, Kansas City
Cost: Free – $$
Good for: Getting a taste of Kansas City life and its bar scene.
Tip: Visit in the afternoon, the area can be less safe at night.
Westport’s history began in 1831, when Reverend Isaac McCoy and his family settled in the area. Isaac’s son, John, formally founded the town and is widely considered the father of Kansas City. He started a trading post, outfitting travelers as they headed west on the California, Oregon and Santa Fe trails.
After successful business and quick growth, the area would diminished by the Civil War. After the Battle of Westport, Kansas City became the dominant community, and Westport’s population declined.
Today, Westport is in the midst of Kansas City, though a very unique neighborhood. With a large mix of bars, restaurants and shops, Westport is successful once again.
Where to Visit in Westport Kansas City
- McCoy’s – A local brewery that’s more known for their food.
- CaVa – A champagne bar.
- Julep – CaVa’s sister bar, serving whiskey.
- Harpo’s – College bar with a huge patio in the back (avoid going to the restrooms here, they’re nasty)
- Harry’s – Old-school bar with a perfect patio.
- Ale House – An awesome rooftop and decent bar food.
- Kelly’s – The oldest bar in Kansas City and an Iowa State bar!
- Californos – Ritzy New-American cuisine.
- Doughnut Lounge – Specialty donuts paired with cocktails.
- Port Fonda – Upscale Mexican cuisine that is loved or hated.
- The Corner Restaurant – The best farm-to-table brunch in the city.
- Char Bar – New style BBQ with a day-drinking-worthy patio.
- Beer Kitchen- An always-bust gastropub known for their fries.
- Joe’s Pizza – Pizza by the slice with a window in Kelly’s and out onto the street.
- Dempsey’s – Known for their burgers and large beer list
- The Bunker – Local to well-known apparel and goods
- Broadway Cafe – A coffee shop with devout regulars.
- Wonderland – Eclectic second-hand apparel and goods.
- Mills Record Company – One of the handful of record stores in the metro.
While Wesport is not the safest place to be at night (there have been several incidents over the past few years), it’s a wonderful place to spend the day. With bars, restaurants and shops to choose from, you will have plenty to do. xx, Libbie.