#82 – Martin City Brewery
500 E 135th St, Kansas City, MO 64145
Good for: Craft beer lovers, pizza lovers.
Features: Great food, unique beers, patio.
Tip: Expect a wait, this is a hotspot for locals.
As the Kansas City craft beer scene grows, there seems to be two mainstays – Boulevard and Martin City Brewery. Martin City Brewery, located in South KCMO, has been around since 2010. It has outgrown one space, allowing the Pizza & Tap Room space to open.
About Martin City Brewery
Like many others before it, Martin City Brewery began with two friends and an interest in brewing. When a building in Martin City opened up in 2010, they bought it and didn’t look back. After just two years, they opened the Pizza and Taproom along with an attached state-of-the-art brewing facility right next door.
You’ll still find the Martin City Brewing Company Pub next door, but it serves a variety of Kansas City beers, along with plenty of Martin City Brewery’s creations.
For the past eight years, Martin City Brewing has been making a name for itself and you can now find Martin City beers in liquor stores around the city.
In addition to full pints, the tap room sells half pints – perfect for tasting a variety of high ABV beers.
- Abbey* – Belgian Dubbel beer
- Alchemy Coffee Stout – Creamy coffee stout
- Yella Agate – New-England style IPA
- Hard Way IPA – Their first and most popular
*my personal fav
While some breweries have only popcorn or pretzels (many in the Crossroads), Martin City Brewery might be as well known for their food as their beer. Their wood-fired pizzas come in interesting varieties, and are all incredibly delicious. Their typical American restaurant staples are great too – chicken wings, Cuban, turkey wrap.
My personal favorites:
- Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad – honey Dijon vinaigrette, roasted brussels sprouts, onion and bacon
- Apples in Italy Pizza – garlic alfredo, apples, sausage, olive oil, goat cheese, pecans
- Chicken Spanakopita Pizza – garlic alfredo, chicken, fresh garlic, artichoke hearts, spinach, feta with EVOO and parmesan
Nothing beats a pint of Abbey and slice of pizza on Martin City Brewery’s patio. xx, Libbie.